One benefit of a Perry Newman Design renovation is pesky, little problems with your home that have worried you get fixed and updated as part of the remodel process. Without you needing to research, make calls or hire them fantastic contractors will come improve your home as part of the Perry Newman team. At the end of the project, you will have a list of high-quality professionals to call on to keep your home running in tip-top form. For example, an electrician coming in to work on your project can address problems in the remodeled area and you can say good-bye to issues like:
- Circuit breakers tripping—This happens because the breakers automatically shut off power to the wires if something goes wrong. Most of the time the fuse or breaker is just doing its job when it trips. It’s designed to turn off if the circuit is attempting to draw more power than is safe so it protects your electrical system from being overloaded. It will also trip if there is a short circuit (meaning electrical current is flowing where it shouldn’t). When too many appliances are turned on at the same time it may cause the breaker to trip. There may also be a wiring problem or an appliance that isn’t grounded properly.
- Heat generated from lighting fixtures—You may be using the wrong bulb wattage or the wrong kind of bulb. There are newer options for lighting that can eliminate this problem by changing the bulb, updating the wiring or replacing the fixture.
- Burning odor near plugs or fixtures—The National Fire Protection Association says discolored outlets or a slight burning odor is caused by “arcing, smoldering, burning happening behind your outlets, damaged or improperly installed wiring in the outlet or a problem with the receptacle itself.” If you are experiencing these issues in your home please do not continue to use the outlet. You need an electrician to safely make some upgrades.
- Buzzing sounds— A buzzing sound in a light can be caused by a short in the lighting circuit or may be a rheostat that is not all the way on or all the way off. Dimmers also tend to buzz more often.
- Warm light switches—Another issue that sometimes happens with dimmers is the switches getting hot. The more dimmers there are, the more likely this is to happen. It may help to replace plastic trim plates with something metal or there may be a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.
- Sparks from outlets, switches or fixtures— A spark from a plug could damage the outlet or start a fire. If this is something that is happening on a regular basis then stop using the outlet and get a professional in to assess the situation. This might be causes by loose wiring, an overloaded circuit, a defective outlet or a dirty wiring connection.
- Flickering or blinking lights— Usually, this problem is caused by a poor connection in your electrical system. It may be in an outlet, light or switch box but a poor connection can affect the entire circuit. If several areas are affected at the same time, there may be a problem in the panel, main breaker, meter or with the power company’s lines.
- Shocks when you touch appliances—Your appliances probably haven’t been grounded properly.
- Lack of GFCI’s (ground fault circuit interrupters)—These are important because they protect you from shock in areas where water may be present like your kitchen, bathroom, basement or garage.
- Dead outlets—Sometimes outlets literally burn out. A fire or a flare or surge can cause an outlet to stop working. There may be discoloration around the outlet when this happens. If you have an outlet that is not working then do not plug things into it or into the connected outlet. The problem needs to be identified and it needs to be replaced.
Your electric system isn’t a glamorous part of your home but planning for and installing proper wiring, panels and outlets can help your home elevate your quality of life. Lighting can be dramatic, functional or elegant as part of the overall design of your renovation but it is also important to make sure that unseen systems in your home are properly installed and maintained. The service of professional electrician’s is part of the Perry Newman Design remodeling experience. You’ll sleep great in your designer home knowing that even behind the freshly painted walls, everything looks great and is in working order.